Disabled Student’s Allowance

Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) is a government funded scheme available to you if you are in higher education with a disability such as hearing loss. The support you can receive is in addition to your student grant or loan, and is not affected by income. 42% of students with a known disability were in receipt of Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) since 2010-11*.

Disabled Student’s Allowance can cover the cost of any equipment you may require, in addition to your hearing aid(s). Each University should also have a person in charge of disability issues called a Disability Officer who you can talk to about the support you may require. It can help with the cost of a note-taker or a sign language interpreter for example, items of specialist equipment, travel and other study-related costs.

When you apply for funding, you will need to provide medical evidence of your disability, such as a letter from your doctor or specialist, and be required to have an assessment to review your specific needs. A report of those needs and the equipment required is then passed to the appropriate funding body. If you are successful, you will be notified how to purchase the equipment by the funding body.

To help with your application, we have outlined below some initial eligibility criteria.

* www.hefce.ac.uk/analysis/HEinEngland/students/disability/